An 18-year old male was injured in a mishap with fireworks in Austin late Tuesday evening.
Officers with the Austin Police Department were dispatched to a residence in the 800 block of 3rd Avenue NE at 9:49 p.m. Tuesday evening for a report of an 18-year old male who had a firework go off in his hand while it was near his chest. Chief of Police Dave McKichan indicated in a report that officers located the victim, who was being attended to by bystanders. Officers and personnel from the Austin Fire Department addressed a chest wound and a second wound across the entire length of the man’s right wrist, which authorities stated was severe in nature.
Chief McKichan stated that the victim was then turned over to the Mayo Clinic Ambulance Service, and he was transported to Mayo Clinic Health Systems in Austin, where his condition was unknown at last word.