Authorities are investigating after a fire heavily damaged a residence in the northeast section of Austin Friday evening.
Austin Police Captain Todd Clennon reported that an officer responded to a 9-1-1 hangup Friday evening that pinged to 1005 3rd Ave. NE. Dispatch advised the officer that the call came from a landline at the residence, and they added they had heard what sounded like a fire alarm sounding off on the line.
Officers arrived in the area and observed heavy smoke while approaching the residence. Captain Clennon stated that when officers arrived on the scene, they observed that the residence was almost fully engulfed in flames. As officers were checking the area, Clennon stated that a woman approached an officer and stated that she was the daughter-in-law of the owner of the home, and she added that everyone had exited the residence and were in her nearby home.
The Austin Fire Department responded to the scene at approximately 8:36 p.m. Friday evening and extinguished the blaze, and Captain Clennon stated that a witness told officers that the fire may have been caused by a discarded piece of tissue used to light a cigarette.
No injuries were reported, and Austin Fire Chief Jim McCoy stated that the fire caused approximately $80,000 in damage to the structure and its contents.