Cause of February 17th fire at Austin custom motorcycle shop determined
The cause of a fire that did $600,000 in damage to a custom motorcycle shop in southeast Austin on February 17th has been determined.
Austin Fire Chief Jim McCoy reported that the cause of the fire at M & D Customs was found to be a small propane torch that had been left on in the basement of the shop. Chief Jim McCoy stated in a news release that crews were called at 3:35 p.m. on the afternoon of Thursday, February 17th for a report of a fire at M & D Customs motorcycle shop in the 1100 block of 5th Place SE. Firefighters arrived on the scene to find smoke showing from the business, with a fire reported in the basement. Chief McCoy stated that attempts to make entry into the building were unsuccessful due to the structural integrity of the floor, and he added that the office area of the shop was deemed a total loss. He went on to state that the owner was able to salvage multiple motorcycles from the shop area, and the fire caused $600,000 worth of damage to the building and its contents.
Fire Departments from Brownsdale and Lyle were called in for mutual aid in battling the blaze, and no injuries were reported.