With Halloween creeping closer, it’s time to break out the tools and carve up a Jack-O-Lantern. Here’s how to prevent it from becoming a rotted mess outside your home!
1) After slicing up the pumpkin, take care to remove all of the “guts” and seeds from the inside.
2) Clean the interior with a solution of one tablespoon of bleach per quart of water to kill off mold (or go all-natural with one tablespoon of peppermint Castile soap in a quart of water).
3) Rub petroleum jelly or olive oil on the cut surfaces to prevent drying out (the Farmers’ Almanac suggests hairspray will also work!).
4) Lastly, cut a hole out of the bottom for the candle rather than go in from the top. This will allow moisture to escape, plus make it easier to light.