The Minnesota Department of Transportation has announced that U.S. Highway 218 motorists will encounter a lane closure beginning May 1 as crews resurface the road from Blooming Prairie to Owatonna.
The following work is planned during the project, and it is anticipated it will be completed by mid-July.
- Resurfacing approximately 14.3 miles of Highway 218 from Blooming Prairie (0.15 miles north of Highway 30) to Owatonna (0.15 miles north of Highway 14)
- Constructing new turn lanes/bypass lanes:
- Right turn lane at 123rd Street SE
- Bypass lane at 64th Avenue SE
- Right turn lane at 83rd Street SE
- Right turn lane at 81st Street SE
- Bypass lane at 81st Street SE
- Right turn lane at 73rd Street SE
- Bypass lane at County Road 3
- Right turn lane at County Road 18
- Installing new lighting at three intersections of Highway 218: County Road 26 south of Bixby, County Road 4 in Bixby and County Road 6 in Pratt
- Replacing culvert near 123rd Street SE and Highway 218 intersection
Motorists on Highway 218 should plan extra travel time. There will be a lane closure during the resurfacing work with a pilot car leading traffic through the work zone. Flaggers will direct traffic during the turn lane/bypass lane construction, and 123rd Street SE will be closed during the culvert replacement.