THIS IS NOT A DRILL… Thanksgiving is less than a week away and if you’re the one hosting this year, it’s GO TIME!
Hopefully these six tips and tricks will help make things a little easier for you!
1. Clean out your fridge. Make room for your turkey and make sure you have plenty of room to store the leftovers!
2. Take inventory of the pantry. Make sure you have all of the spices and extra things you will need. Also, keep in mind that you might not need to buy a turkey roasting bag because the box you bought last year came with two!
3. Have plan for your cooking utensils and silverware. Take stock of all the pots, pans, plates, glasses, serving platters, and silverware you’ll need to pull off your Thanksgiving dinner.
4. Shop. You should have everything you need for Thanksgiving dinner by Sunday night (turkey, canned ingredients, fresh ingredients, beverages, appetizers, desserts).
5. Defrost your turkey. If you bought a frozen turkey, the USDA recommends one day of thawing in the fridge for every 4 to 5 pounds. So if your bird is over 20 pounds, you should have it defrosting in the fridge by tonight!
6. Prep where you can. Depending on what you’re serving, you can check off a few things this weekend. Things like dips and spreads can generally be made up to a week ahead of time. You can air-dry breads for stuffing. You can make homemade pie crusts. And things that are served chilled, like cranberry sauce or vinaigrette for salads, can all be made this weekend.
Best of luck!